Rolling Through Midlife Challenges: Electric Skateboarding for Mental Well-being
Life often presents us with unexpected challenges, and one of the most renowned yet feared phases is the notorious midlife crisis. However, there's a unique perspective to consider – it might not be as daunting as it seems. In this informative blog post, we'll delve into the concept of midlife crisis and examine how electric skateboarding, along with insights from Dr. Maike Neuhaus, a psychologist specialising in mental well-being, can be an excellent tool for Kiwi men looking to navigate and conquer this midlife dilemma.
Understanding Midlife Crisis
When discussing midlife crisis, it's crucial to understand that it's not solely about the negative aspects frequently associated with it, such as depression and anxiety. According to Dr. Maike Neuhaus, a psychologist who specialises in mental well-being, midlife crisis should be viewed as an opportunity for personal growth and transformation. She emphasises that mental health encompasses not just the absence of mental illness but also the presence of mental well-being or flourishing.
- Emotional Well-being
- This involves experiencing moments of joy, pleasure, and life satisfaction.
- It's about understanding your desires and needs in life and evaluating your progress toward these goals.
- Psychological Well-being
- This level of well-being delves deeper into happiness, focusing on personal growth, skill mastery, and finding meaning and purpose in life.
- Social Well-being
- Feeling connected to others and contributing to something greater than oneself are essential aspects of social well-being.
- Building strong, quality connections with others is crucial for mental health.
Electric Skateboarding as a Coping Mechanism
Now, let's explore how electric skateboarding can serve as a potent tool for addressing midlife crisis:
- Physical Activity
- Electric skateboarding gets you moving and provides a healthy dose of physical activity, releasing endorphins that combat stress and anxiety.
- Outdoors and Sunlight
- Riding an electric skateboard often means spending time outdoors, which is essential for mental well-being.
- Exposure to natural light and fresh air can boost your mood and help regulate your circadian rhythms.
- Flow State
- Skateboarding demands focus and concentration, creating an ideal environment for experiencing a flow state.
- This deep engagement can provide a sense of fulfilment and accomplishment, vital for psychological well-being.
- Community and Social Connections
- Many skateboarders find a sense of belonging and community within the skateboarding world, enhancing social well-being.
- Escape from Daily Stressors
- Electric skateboarding can offer an escape from the daily pressures of work, family, and responsibilities, providing a moment of respite and relaxation.
Finding Fulfillment Through Hobbies
As Dr. Neuhaus explains, hobbies like electric skateboarding can play a pivotal role in achieving mental well-being, particularly for those who may not feel fulfilled by their careers. While a fulfilling career is excellent, not everyone has that luxury. Therefore, dedicating time to hobbies that bring joy, passion, and a sense of accomplishment is crucial.
Midlife crisis need not be a dreaded phase of life. It can be an opportunity for growth, self-discovery, and improved mental well-being. Electric skateboarding, as both a hobby and a coping mechanism, can provide the physical, emotional, and social benefits needed to navigate this challenging period successfully. So, if you're a Kiwi man grappling with midlife doubts, consider grabbing an electric skateboard and rolling your way toward a brighter, more fulfilling future.